Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Hunkering Down









Like the rest of you, no matter where where is, we’ve been biding our time, staying inside, hunkering down, waiting for the world to hit the reset button.

But it looks like it’s gonna be a while.

And despite my last post of 2019 “Meet The New Year”s, somewhat prescient theme…I obviously had no idea any of this was coming.

I had a much more mundane form of calamity in mind for 2020. The kind of things we’ve all become numb to over the past few years.

But this is what we’ve got, which kind of makes all the other stuff seem like a safe harbor in the midst of a storm.

So, as I said, we’ve been hunkering down for the last month, minding our P’s and Q’s which…you know... tend to get a little rowdy in times of global crisis.

P more so than Q, who tends to take things as they come, good times and bad.

I think it has to do with the little tail on the end of Q, which, if you think about it, has to make a letter feel a bit self-conscious since none of the other letters have to deal with that.

Yet, Q doesn’t complain; it’s never been that kind of letter. Instead, over the years, Q’s learned to embrace its singularity as a quality to be proud of, plowing ahead without looking back.

Which P usually takes to heart and falls in line, chasing Q’s tail, which annoys Q to no end.

If you’re asking yourself, what does any of this have to do with anything…I’m right there with ya.

How should I know?

I’m doing my best, here. You tell me…what sort of humor is pandemic appropriate?

And, if I’m being honest—which, most likely, I’m not—hunkering isn’t all that bad.

I admit, the first week took a little getting used to, at least until Z told me I didn’t have to hunker under the couch.

She told me I might be better off down in the basement, behind the furnace, which I appreciated, since it’s a lot easier eating dinner back there.

Not that I stay locked down all day; I do get out for a walk, once in a while.

I’ve almost got that rolling plastic bubble thing totally figured out.

Plus, I’m told my neighbor’s schnoodle will make a full recovery.

And let’s face it, the life of a writer lends itself to social distancing.

In fact, I’ve been practicing social distancing for years, ever since I discovered the internet.

Leave the house…me…why?

As the patron saint of weirdo writers, Larry David, says, nothing good ever comes from leaving the house.

Not that, like everyone else, I haven’t had to make some inconvenient lifestyle adjustments.

Reluctantly, I cut 4 feet off my regular 10-foot poles…you know, so I wouldn’t look too out of place.

And it took me longer than usual to figure out the new combination to my neighbor’s toilet paper safe.

Of course, there are times when things get a little uncomfortable out on the street, especially when my hay fever kicks in and I feel a sneezing fit coming on. 

Not to worry, though. Through the years I’ve mastered the art of the, now, very popular, elbow sneeze, and find if I remember to use my own elbows, it reduces the uncomfortablity index substantially…for the most part.

And I have to say, getting out of the house for a stroll, with or without the rolling plastic bubble, is the best part of these trying days.


Seeing a giant silver maple sprouting red buds, against a deep blue sky; you can’t help but feel heartened.


A breeze slips by, not quite warm, but not at all cold. 




The scent of awakened soil, sprouting daffodils; even recalcitrant dandelions are a sight for sore eyes.

Kids zoom by on bikes, dodging scooters…and me…on sidewalks. 



Smiling folks walk their dogs and wave from across the street.

Yep…despite all the visceral disharmony…somehow it’s spring.

It really is.

Happy, bunny hopping spring.

The season of hope, sunny dreams and renewal arrived on our doorsteps, right on time; now, when we need it more than ever.

We may not be able to see past the horizon, yet, but we’ll get there.

Somewhat battered and confused, sure. But, in the end, none the worse for wear.

We’ll be better…

We always are.

What choice do we have?

We’ll be better…

It’s what Q would do…and so will you.

_____________________________________________________



4 comments:

  1. I like the part about the 10-foot pole, now cut to 6 feet. If only everyone had a 6-footer. I find it hard to know what day it is. I hate to admit I put the trash out a day early. It was so embarrassing when no one put their's out, causing me to think I must have missed a holiday. Like Easter?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy to see you're doing well and maintaining your usual level of fiestiness up there in the hoty toity "commonwealth". At least you put the trash out. I just keep ordering bigger and bbigger garbage cans! Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. with all this time at home I find myself not having time to do all I need or WANT to do....but maybe it's bc all these people are ALWAYS here. ;0) be well. stay safe. stay sane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm having trouble getting my usual number of naps in since they now tend to overlap each other....

      Delete

Retort to the Retort -

“Is there anybody alive out there…”