Monday, January 9, 2012

If Only....






A lot of us are always saying…“If only I had done this when I was younger”….or…“Maybe I should have thought of that before”…or…“Why couldn’t I have taken more chances back then…”

Or maybe that’s just me.

I don’t know…but I think there’re a lot of “ME’s” out there.

Sure, I could have figured out that mailing a birthday card on the day of the person’s birthday isn’t all that prudent…especially if you live under the same roof with them.

Or that rinsing off your mobile phone in the washing machine is probably not all that smart…even though it did eventually dry out to chirp another day…and it was squeaky clean.

Or telling the guys painting your living room to help themselves to the beer in the fridge when they’re done.

Yeah, I wish I had learned all of those things earlier on…but at least I’ve learned them now.

That’s the thing with us Human Beings…we want it all…all the time.  We want to be smart from the first grade on, which we all know is impossible. What would we do with all those other teachers from 2nd grade on?

If we spent the rest of our lives with nothing but the knowledge we gained up to first grade we would all be republicans…..

Or democrats….

Or maybe even a candidate….

See, a few years ago I might have just mentioned one particular party and left myself open for all the political outrage and hostility that even the most innocent of satiric commentary seems to incite. 

So I learned that.

There was a recent blurb in the paper about a 100 year old woman who reconnected, about five years ago, with her 83 year old daughter who she'd given up for adoption. And I have to tell you, finding someone to adopt an 83 year old wasn't easy.  Bada boom....

Sorry....

No...seriously, this all took place back in the dusty days of 1928, when the mom was only 17. Through all those years she'd wondered what had become of the little girl she had given over to a pastor and his wife.  And now she'd found her….

So…do these women, now old and older, now regret all the years lost to missed connections and circumstance or do they relish the fact that at least now is better than never?

I don’t know…I guess it’s up to each person to decide how they choose to look at it.

I guess you'd have to surmise that it served both well, because  by the picture of the two of them together it looks like they’re both pretty happy to be where they are right now, without any regret for a lost past.  This, despite the fact that it was allegedly reported that the first words out of the 100 year old mother’s mouth was, “So this is how you wear your hair?”

Allegedly….

So whether we learn our lessons or reap are rewards early on or late in life, it really doesn’t matter.  Things happen in their time.  Just like ordering a Pizza for delivery.

And if it’s meant to be, then it is…and if it’s not…so be it. 

That’s what Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches are for.   

Nothing good ever came from a pair of shoes, a half size too small, that we wished we could squeeze into.

That’s what return shipping is for.

The right shoe always fits…just ask Cinderella.

Everything in its time.

Yeah, I know. 

I'm confused too...


Maybe even this will make some sense in time too.

Maybe….

No comments:

Post a Comment

Retort to the Retort -

“Is there anybody alive out there…”