Monday, February 27, 2012

Connecting Pieces













Last week I wrote about Reincarnation and cockroaches.
Z said she didn’t see that coming…the cockroaches, I mean.

I told her I didn’t either; you never see cockroaches coming…they just sort of happen.

She said “Ahhhh…I thought so.”

Yeah…that’s what happens sometimes with these things, at least to me, and not just with cockroaches. You start out, heading in one direction, and before you know it you get turned around and end up somewhere else before you even start on the path you had intended.

But that’s okay…you always end up where you’re supposed to be anyway.

The thing is, I do have a sort of metaphysical bent to me. However the doctors say they can straighten that through surgery.

Oooops…sorry. Did it again.

I guess I like to make fun of it because a lot of people think if you dabble in the unknown, there’s a little bit unknown about you too. Like if you’re really somebody they want to pet their dog.

See…again.

I admit to having certain empathetic qualities, somewhat stronger than other folks.  Like, I can always tell when something out of the ordinary is affecting someone in my small circle of friends.  I suppose that can be attributed to just paying attention and observing them, day to day.  But I also seem to know when something’s a little “off” with people I’ve never met before. 


And I don't mean the chili dog they had for lunch that day.

I can also tell when they're being disingenuous or their outer persona belies what they’re really thinking or feeling.


That sort of thing.

Which is not always such a good thing.


Especially if you want to keep your friends.

But it can be a good thing in the proper circumstances…actually a very good thing.

Like when you pass a stranger on the street, meet their eyes and just know this person holds some significance to you…maybe in some life, if not this one. 

I’m not talking about romance or in a “cupid’s silly arrow” kind of way; I just mean there’s definitely some sort of connection there. It isn’t related to gender or age or anything really. It could even be a baby in a stroller.  There’s just something there that joins together in that moment and sends some sort of subtle signal. So subtle that most of us just ignore it and keep on walking, most likely never to see that person again…at least in this life.

And then there are those people that you do experience this connection with and they are in your life—this life—in some form or another…to some extent or another.

It’s these people…the ones you feel so comfortable to be with, who always make you smile on the inside, even when you want to smack them on the outside, that I’m talking about. Whether it’s just sharing a pitcher of beer in a bar, talking sports or dinner in a restaurant at a table of ten, talking colonoscopies, you know you’re where you’re supposed to be, with who you’re supposed to be.

They can be the people you fall asleep with every night, or the people you only talk to on the phone or e-mail once in a while. You might see them all the time or you might only see them at barbeque once or twice a year...or maybe never at all. If, for whatever reason, you don’t see these people for a long period of time….even years…you don’t think about the time lost when you do, you just connect the last second with the one at hand and never miss a beat.

Just like the stranger passing on the street…you know…there’s something rare and precious there. Your molecules stick and your DNA dance. And if you’re lucky enough to be in each other’s lives, in whatever form that takes, you never want to let that go.

Connections…they’re rare but they’re there.  Are they from a past life or a future one?

I don’t know and I don’t really care. I’m just happy to have them…even the ones I don’t know about…yet.

____________________________________________________
If you enjoy the Retort, do me a favor and click on the "Like" button, up top on the right, and "Like" the FLR Facebook Page. Things have picked up considerably from a week ago and now with a few more "Likes" I'm hoping to cash in on the Telescope. 

If you don't like it, please click the same button...but with a negative attitude. Thanks....



Or Now you can just

"Like" is much too much of a commitment—









2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I like this one...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you're saying you don't like the others? Hmmmm...no wonder you're Anonoy again....

      Delete

Retort to the Retort -

“Is there anybody alive out there…”