Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Just About Nothing





 
 
We’re a month into spring now and I’m still finding myself chilled every morning.

 
It’s got nothing to do with the weather, though, and really more about my neighbor leaving his bathroom curtains open after he showers.

Don’t really want to see that….

I’m also sure none of us want to see a story like this, either, which is essentially about nothing, mostly because it’s one of those days where I have nothing to say, let alone write about.

Yeah…I know.

Another one of those…..

So I thought I would try the old trick where I just sit down and start tapping something out and hope it turns into at least 4 or 5 hundred words of something, before my coffee gets cold.

Yeah…I know…doesn’t always work.

Obviously….

I guess it’s because I’m still getting over this past holiday weekend.

We again hosted about 327 of Z’s immediate family…my in-laws…for Easter.

Okay, that’s an exaggeration…there were really only 9 of them this year…it only seemed like 327 after my 23rd gin and tonic.

What…?

Oh, don’t worry…I switched to beer after that.

It’s not that I really needed that much gin…it just helps me cope.  

Plus, since there were only 9 of them this year, I was able to park and wash their cars in no time.

And I was able to eat in the house this time…although not on the same floor.

Yeah…I know. This act is getting old. I pull it out every time I get together with my in-laws.

Truth is they’re all just fine.  And yes…they do know my name, even without the name tag.

And they do tip pretty well.

All that.

But would it be at all amusing if I were to write about that?

Although I’m not implying that “this” in any way is either.

We actually had a nice time; even sat out on the porch in the sun for cocktails and munchies before dinner.

Which is pretty much the only time of year when you can sit on my deck in mid-afternoon without being turned into a sundried tomato in 15 minutes…at least until the sun drops behind the big leafy tree around 5:30.

Afterwards, we all made our way into the dining room and chowed down on 2 legs of lamb, which everyone couldn’t get enough of…except, you know, the lamb.

But there’s always goanna be somebody in the bunch who’s not happy.

Bygones…..

Z also made her famous Bunny Cake for desert, which you can see was devoured before I could get a good pic.

 
Afterwards, Z, always thinking, reconfigured it into a Raccoon Cake, which means we now have something to serve on “Davey Crockett” day.

Don’t ask me what that means. I told you I’m just tapping here. I’m not responsible for what comes out.

By 8, there was pretty much nothing left to eat or drink, so everyone started heading out the door, and this year I was able to recover most if not all the silverware as they passed through the metal detector.

I know that sounds weird, having a metal detector for your guests to walk through as they’re leaving….but the individual “wanding” took way too much time on New Year’s.

So there you go…nearly 550 words about nothing.

I know…not even close to entertaining, but it was the best I could do.

And it had nothing to do with the 23 G & Ts.

It was the beer….and the Sambuca…and the Anisette…and….
 
 

______________________________________________
If you enjoy the Retort, do me a favor and click on the "Like" button, up top on the right (PC's only), or "Like" the FLR Facebook Pagehere. Things have picked up considerably from a week ago and now with a few more "Likes" I'm hoping to cash in on the Telescope. 

If you don't like it, please click the same button...but with a negative attitude. Thanks....


Or Now you can just

"Like" is much too much of a commitment—






 

7 comments:

  1. I LOL'd when I got to the part about the metal detector. Another good one. You never know where starting out tapping will lead, and it's worth the cold coffee. Is it too late to tell you about my cousin's neighbor's Easter egg hunt?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My CA cousin told about her neighbor who invited the neighborhood children to an Easter egg hunt taking place in her livingroom. What a disaster! She explained later that she didn't have time to boil the eggs. I said to Suzie, my cousin, that the woman was very odd. Suzie said, "She was a member of the League of Women Voters."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The odd thing here is this all makes perfect sense to me and has me laughing...thanks!

      Delete
  3. i think i had 23 of something also.... ;0) if you lived closer you could have brought your nine to our easter wiffle ball game. and the bunny cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw the wiffle game pics and was jealous we didn't have one of our own. I would send you a piece of the bunny, but alas it has gone the way of all good bunnies...or at least the ones that are cake in my house....

      Delete
    2. like the cream puffs my mom made. i had an insane day yesterday and ate cream puffs for lunch. at 4pm.

      Delete

Retort to the Retort -

“Is there anybody alive out there…”